I ran the Speedy Spaniard 10K this morning, I have run this race a lot and I have run one of my fastest 10K's on this course but not today... In fact the last few years I have had slower times, and this year was no different. I have run a lot so far this year but I really had a stinker of a race, my calf seemed okay and didn't really give me any problems, I new it was little stiff but it wasn't hindering me in any way. I really don't know what the reason is for the slower times but it is really disappointing, I did drive all day yesterday from Huntington Beach California and my legs were pretty stiff last night when we got home from in activity. I know I need to do more speed work, that is a given, but how do I balance that with my other training, just the usual questions. I need to do hill work to get ready for St. George so I will need to incorporate some speed in there some how, maybe speed one week and the Hill work the off week. I don't know... Here's how the race went.
1. 7:43 This mile is pretty much uphill and my legs were all ready feeling it.
2. 7:34 This is pretty much down hill and my pace wasn't much better...
3. 7:36 More flat with a slight down hill, one good thing here is my breathing had finally evened out and I felt better the previous couple of miles.
4. 7:36 This is a pretty flat mile and the pace was the same so I am working at trying to have an even pace, which is a good thing.
5. 7:32 I tried to pick it up a little here but it really didn't show to much.
6. 7:35 Just trying to finish...
.20 7:01 I had passed a guy and I could see he was trying to catch me so I held him off, proud of my self for that.
I guess it was some good speed work for the week;)
My Son Ethan broke the 40 minute mark and I was way proud of him for that, 39:36! I wish I could get him to really race because I know he is in shape to run a 36 or 37 minute 10K, He took 3 in his age group (15-18), and he runs daily with his Cross Country Team but when he gets in a race he finds a pace that's comfortable and then he just stays with it instead of extending himself. Maybe this year in Cross Country his coach will show him how, because he won't listen to me, HAHA.
My average pace was 7:35.
See ya tomorrow.